The originator for this terrible catastrophe for the Ummah of the Prophet Muhammad SAW is none other than a man by the name of Dhul Khuwaisira. There is a lengthy hadith in description of him:
Imaam `Ali ibn Abi Taalib sent a piece of gold not yet taken out of its’ ore, in a tanned leather container to the Messenger of Allah SAW. The Messenger of Allah SAW distributed that amongst four persons, `Uyaina bidn Bar, Aqra bin Habi, Zaid al-Khail and the fourth was either `Alqama or `Amir ibn at-Tufail. On that, one of his companions said, ‘We are more deserving of this gold than these people are.’ When that news reached the Prophet SAW he said, ‘Don’t you trust me though I am the trustworthy man of the One above the sky and I receive the news of Heaven both in the morning and in the evening?’
Then there arose a man with sunken eyes, raised cheek bones, raised forehead, a thick beard, a shaven head and an izaar (waist sheet) that was tucked up, and he said, ‘O Messenger of Allah! Fear Allah!’ The Messenger of Allah SAW said, ‘Woe be to you! Am I not of all the people of the Earth the most entitle to fear Allah? Then the man went away. Khaalid ibn al-Walid said, ‘O Messenger of Allah! Allow me to kill him.’ The Prophet SAW said, ‘No, for he may offer prayers.’ Khaalid said, ‘There are many of those who offer prayers and say by their tongues what is not present in their hearts.’
The Messenger of Allah SAW said, ‘I have not been ordered by Allah to search the hearts of the people or to cut open their bellies.’ Then the Prophet SAW looked at him while the man was going away and said, ‘From the offspring of this man will come a people who will recite the Qur’an continuously and beautifully but it will not go past their throats. Then they will exit from the religion just as the arrow exits the body of the game. ’ If I should be present in their time, I would kill them just as the nation of Thamud were killed.’
[Taken from Sahih ul-Bukhaari, V. 9, hadith #527]
The Khawaarij from this moment would go through time, changing shape, taking on new innovations and new falsehoods at every step, opposing the authority of Orthodox Muslims at every step. There were assassinations attempted on the lives of more than six khalifas as well as the attempt to murder guests of the khalifa as well. But the most violent and uncontrollable faction of the Khawaarij arose about 212 years ago.
It took place at the birth of a young man by the name of Muhammad ibn `Abdul Wahhaab (1111-1206 AH/1699-1792 AD), reared in a household of Hanbali theologians in the city of `Uyainah in the district of Najd in the Arabian Peninsula. Although having humble beginnings as an Orthodox Muslim, in the year 1143 AH/1731 AD, after reading through the books of an ultra-iconoclastic writer by the name of Muhammad as-Sana`aani, he proclaimed a new faith. His proclamation was simple.
The Muslims from the years after the Sahaaba had not understood the religion in its’ purity. Infact, Islam had been in decline for millennia. This was due to many practices that had infiltrated the Muslim masses. Those Muslims that were responsible for this had to be guided. If they accepted, they would be accepted as Muslims, in which they would have to proclaim the Shahaada and give their oath of allegiance to Muhammad ibn `Abdul Wahhaab. If they refused, they would have to be killed as apostates, as they insisted on an Islam that was not compatible with the Qur’an and the Sunna.
At the rise of this movement, it was met with contempt by all of the Orthodox Fathers and Mothers present and was duly denounced. The final point came when the khalifa of the time period, Sultaan Selim III (reigned from 1789-1807 AD), dispatched the Islamic army to rid the Peninsula of the movement. Upon arrival, the captain of the military, Sayyid Muhammad `Ali Basha defeated this group, known as al-Muwahhidun, in full, executed most of their theologians and soldiers and sent the remainder to be in captivity in Egypt, awaiting trial for war crimes as well as many of the gangland style murders that had been committed in the cities of Makkah, Madinah, Taa’if and others.
Some al-Muwahhidun, upon release from prison and with the help of master masons of the 33rd degree such as Muhammad `Abduh, Jamaal ud-Din al-Afghaani and Muhammad Rashid Ridaa’, sought to revamp the sect and resurrect it for the 1930s. It was then decided to call it ad-Da`wat ul-Islaahiyyah (the Call to Reform). It was here that they set out their ideas of the humanisation of Allah and His Unknowability in addition to outright denial of the angels. Other ideas began to follow and of course in Egypt, as in Arabia, they were met with scorn and enmity.
But when they finally decided to build a lasting name, they settled upon, ‘Salafiyyah,’ a name hearkening back to the ‘golden age of Islam before the great apostasy of the Ummah.’ This name inspired all who still held belief in the tiny group and `Abdul `Aziz ibn Aal as-Sa`ud worked through a series of wars and intrigue in the Arabian Peninsula to take hold of the country in the name of this movement and lay the foundation for the state of Saudi Arabia. In 1925, with the Islamic government now defunct and the sound of the collapse of Islamic central governing heard around the world, Ibn as-Sa`ud established his Edenic Salafi Civilisation. In the newly formed empire of Saudi Arabia, `Abdul `Aziz was the undisputed autocrat, without question. Now Salafiyyah had a government under its’ control as well as the oil profits that would come in the 1930s from the petroleum discoveries of ARAMCO.
Since that time, the Salafiyyah have been exporting their peculiar and exotic form of Islam to different parts of the Muslim World, but they have put most of their emphasis on Muslims in the West. Their ventures have been met with surprising success. Some 35% or more of the Islamic centres in the United States are under either direct control of Salafiyyah or have been sponsored by the Saudi/Salafi unholy alliance.
The achievements of the Salafis have been many but perhaps we should list the most well known and outstanding of their exploits:
1. Projecting a form or holiness and godliness, but by practice and faith DENYING THE MAJESTY AND POWER THEREIN
2. Rebellion against the Ottoman khilaafa and aiding in its’ collapse.
3. Over the past 35 years there have been three attempts to remove the body of the Prophet Muhammad from Masjid an-Nabawi in Madina where he lies in state, as it is viewed as major shirk that ejects from Islam and leads to apostasy to have it lying in state there.
4. Proclaiming themselves to be the only legitimate Islamic State on Earth.
5. Signing into law a ruling that to speak against the government or leaders of the Saudi Arabian government is to speak against Allah and thus commit major kufr, which ejects one out of Islam and into apostasy.
6. Those who have made amulets with verses from the Qur’an in them have been jailed as well as given capital punishment in Saudi Arabia for their ‘apostasy.’
7. Gatherings for Remembrance of Allah on a large scale in the Sacred Masjid in Makkah and other public venues have been banned but large scale celebrations of the foundation of the Salafiyyah government in Saudi Arabia in 1925 have gone unabated.
8. There have been an uncalculated number of executions done without trial as well as witnesses.
9. By Saudi law, the women may not marry out of Saudi stock, but in 1988, Mr. Ibn Baz, leader of the Salafi sect and government mufti, passed a ruling allowing the MEN but not women to take their pick of non-Saudi spouses. Many returned with ‘California dolls,’ much to the consternation of Salafi authorities.
10. The continued murder of both Sunni and Shi`a in Pakistan as well as the destruction of their masaajid, as Salafiyyah teaches that neither of the two are Muslims anyway.
11. Targeted attacks on populations with the deliberate aim of specifically killing non-combatants in large numbers, such as those recent attacks in Bali, France, the devastation of synagogues in Tunisia and Morocco and Turkey as well as whole scale murder of civilians in Algeria.
12. Infanticide in Algeria as well as funding a market of sex slaves, those mostly being Muslim women that did not subscribe to their rigorous brand of Islam.
13. The consistent murder of prisoners of war in southern Sudan as well as Chad.
14. Interference in the affairs Afghanistan, precipitating the collapse of its’ central government, breaking more than three treaties with the host government as well as contributing to the trade in heroin and the sexual exploitation of the Afghani people.
15. Murder of doctors, aid workers and news reporters who desire to shed light on the affairs of Salafiyyah and its’ tactics in different countries throughout the world.
16. Those accused of prostitution have been executed (there is no evidence for this in Islamic Law at all).
17. Those ‘guilty of fornication’ have received capital punishment.
18. Continuing in the sex slave industry with women exported from as far abroad as the Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia, Pakistan and India.
19. Denying the advance of science by stating that study of space and the stars is a waste of time and against Islamic Law.
20. Refusal to admit that the Earth is round and that it does revolve around the sun in a heliocentric cycle.
21. Refusal to allow women to drive due to the ruling that they are ‘mentally lacking.’
22. Murdering and slaughtering the Jews in Palestine who are actually campaigning for the rights of Muslims in Palestine such as Neturei Karta and others.
23. Circulating books around the world that about with errors in creed, fiqh, salvation and other crucial subjects.
24. Editing and tampering with the hadith collections, deleting ahaadith and then releasing abridged and expunged versions of the finished product.
25. Funding embarrassing translations and commentaries of the Qur’an, which aid in pushing Muslims away from the Qur’an with numerous brackets, page breaks and parenthesis which make it nearly impossible to know when the Salafis speak and when Allah is speaking (perhaps it is linked with a belief that Salafism is of the Divine).
This particular cult, although small, has many different names that it masquerades under depending on the location. Some names will differ from one country to another but in the last 30 years it is most famously known as Salafiyyah:
Arabian Peninsula: al-Ikhwaan, Ashaab ut-Tawhid, Guardians of Tawhid,
Muwahhidun, al-Wahhaabiyyah, an-Najdiyyun
Algeria: the Mother Group, GIA, FIS, al-Muslimoun, SGFJ and Jama`at ul-Islaamiyyah.
Egypt: Jama`at ut-Takfir wal-Hijrah, Ansaar us-Sunna, Jama`at ul-Muhammadiyyah, Jama`at ul-Islaahiyyah, Ikhwaan ul-Muslimun, Ansaar ullah and Jama`at ul-Muslimin.
Europe and the Americas: Salafiyyah, Da`wat us-Salafiyyah, Takfiriyyah, the Saved Sect
India and Pakistan: As-haab ul-Hadith, Ahl ul-Hadith, Zaahiriyyah, Muslim Students Union (MSU) and the Muslims Students Organisation (MSO).
Indonesia, Phillipines and South East Asia: Jemaah Islamiya, Laskar Jihaad and Darul Islaam.
Jordan, Lebanon, Palestine and Syria: Albaaniyoun, Sururiyyah, Salafiyoun, Islaami Jihaad, parts of Hammaas, factions of the al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigade, factions of the PLO as well as parts of al-Fatah.
Morocco: Salafiyyah al-Jihaadiyyah (SAJ), Sirat al-Mustaqim (SM) and Saa`iqah (a splinter group from SM).
Yemen: Hizb un-Nahda, Hizb ul-Wahda.
SALAFI ORGANISATIONS THAT YOU SHOULD BE AWARE OF:
Arabian Peninsula: al-Madina University, Muhammad ibn Saud University
Iraq: Masjid ibn Taymiyyah, Masjid Salafiyyah
Pakistan: Tanzim al-Islami
UAE: Preston University
United Kingdom: JIMAS, al-Muntada al-Islami, London Open College (LOC), the Salafi Bookstore, the House of Knowledge (HOK), al-Hidaayah Bookstore.
United States: ISNA, ICNA, IANA, CAIR, WAMY, AMC and Islamic Information Foundation (IIF)
Al-Bayaan Al-Jumuah The Message
The Salafiyyah as an organisation has many beliefs, but we are mainly interested in those that are in clear contravention of what Muslim Orthodoxy have believed in the major areas that border on salvation and other crucial doctrines:
a. Salafiyyah does not share the belief with Muslim Orthodoxy in that Allah is above matter and not resembling His Creation in any manner. Allah is implicitly held (and in some cases explicitly) by Salafi theologians to be an exalted man sitting on a large chair. His Attributes are all literal according to the language and how we know and understand them. Therefore to the Salafis, the Lord sits, stands climbs up and climbs down, etc and is the same as a human being.
b. The Prophet Muhammad is not primordial, but only a mere man and the last prophet. Muhammad ibn `Abdul Wahhaab denied most of his prophetic miracles.
c. Prophets are not completely infallible (this tenet is held implicitly) and in fact the Prophet Muhammad was led astray at one point by Shaitan (this tenet is expressed explicitly).
d. Denial of the miracles of the saints and sometimes of some of the prophets.
e. Salvation is by deeds and the believer enters the Paradise because of his deeds and not due to Grace and the Mercy of Allah.
f. Following the Four Orthodox schools is blind following at the least and at the most is major shirk that will eject the perpetrator out of Islam and into apostasy.
g. Salafi theologians believe themselves able to extract laws and make rulings directly from the Qur’an and the Sunna, placing themselves on the same level as the Four Great Imaams.
h. Swearing by other than Allah is major shirk that will eject the perpetrator out of Islam and into apostasy (the Orthodox state that while it is a sin, it is not enough to lead to apostasy).
i. Visiting the graves to seek the barakah (bounty) of the saints is shirk that can eject one out of Islam and into apostasy.
j. Making du`aa to Allah using the barakah of the prophets or saints is major shirk that will eject the perpetrator out of Islam and into apostasy.
k. Calling on the angels for help when one is in distress is major shirk that will eject the perpetrator out of Islam and into apostasy (in fact, this action was done by the Mother of Ismaa`il, Hajar and there are many other instances).
l. Using the Qu’ran or the Names of Allah to heal people or as a pendant is major shirk that will eject the perpetrator out of Islam and into apostasy. The government of Saudi Arabia, which is run by the Salafi cult, has executed perpetrators of this ‘crime.’
m. Most Muslims are idol worshippers and have gone back into the Pre-Islamic Age of Ignorance before the Prophet Muhammad came to preach unto them.
n. The Prophet Muhammad cannot be seen in a dream by Muslims now and the ahaadith about his being seen in a dream in his actual form can only be interpreted to mean his companions who knew how he appeared.
o. There is only a small faction of the Muslims that is entering the Paradise.
p. Salvation is by actions and not by faith alone.
q. Some elements of the Salafiyyah organisation have actually went to the extreme of proclaiming Muhammad ibn `Abdul Wahhaab as a prophet. This statement was insinuated by Muhammad ibn `Abdul Wahhaab himself one more than two occasions and recorded of his followers on three other occasions.
r. Those that disagree with them are either astray or kuffar.
s. The prophets, saints and martyrs are dead in their graves and do not hear.
t. Although having a form of godliness, Salafiyyah rejects by implication many things of the unseen. An example would be the espousing of the belief in angels, but when any report comes of a sighting of them, they say that angels cannot be seen and that it must have been a demon.
u. Whoever will not label him or herself specifically with the title ‘Salafi’ will fall under divine judgement.
v. Salafiyyah has an emphasis on the negative aspects of the law, for example, what not to do, what to abstain from, what to avoid. However, the positive laws Salafis are very ignorant of and many are not aware of the peace and joy that can be found in Islam. It is for this reason that many Salafis have either returned to their former religion, if they converted, or abandoned Salafism and became born again Christians.
Please stay tuned for more articles about this phenomenon and how you can help lead someone from the darkness to the light!
Out of the population of 24.3 million people in the Arabian Peninsula, perhaps as many as 2,000,000 are upon the Salafi cult and methodology. There are estimated to be perhaps another 3,000,000 of them around the world in such places as the United States, Australia, United Kingdom, Algeria Pakistan and other countries. Although such a small sect, their organisation and logistical skills with the money taken from the petroleum boom have spread their periodicals, books and pamphlets throughout the world, giving the appearance that they are more numerous than they truly are in reality.
Lindsay Logan -
4 months ago